Seasonal variations of major anions in water at Baro haor area of kishoreganj, bangladesh and revealing the suitability of water for aquatic resource management
Submited : July 18, 2020
Published : December 14, 2020
Haors are areas with sweet water that inhabits a large variety of fishes and other aquatic animals. The quality of water in haors affects the lives in haors and the deterioration of the quality of water due to different anthropogenic reasons may affect the total ecosystem of haors. The study was conducted to investigate the physicochemical parameters and major anions of water of Baro haor area in Kishoreganj during the period from September 2016 to August 2017. The water samples were collected monthly during the pre-monsoon (Feb. to May), monsoon (Jun. to Sep.) and post-monsoon (Oct. to Jan.) seasons from five sampling stations as: (i) Bayershuil beel (St-1), (ii) Tegulia beel (St-2), (iii) Singpur beel (St-3), (iv) Neora beel (St-4) and (v) Bara beel (St-5). The physicochemical water quality was analyzed in the laboratory of the Department of Environmental Science and Resource Management (ESRM), Mawlana Bhashani Science and Technology University (MBSTU), whereas, anions were analyzed in Bangladesh Institute of Nuclear Agriculture (BINA), Mymensingh. Results of the study showed that the mean temperature, electrical conductivity (EC), total dissolved solid (TDS), dissolved oxygen (DO), biochemical oxygen demand (BOD), pH, alkalinity and hardness were found 28.03°C, 696.70 µS/cm, 484.35 mg/L, 6.62 mg/L, 2.36 mg/L, 7.40, 291.35 mg/L and 106.85 mg/L, respectively which revealed that the water was suitable for aquatic environment as well as fish production. Mean concentration of fluoride (F-), chloride (Cl-), bromide (Br-), nitrite (NO2-), nitrate (NO3-) and sulfate (SO42-) were 0.35, 121.35, 0.15, 5.63, 28.41 and 66.29 mg/L, respectively. The water quality was found suitable for aquatic environment and for fish production but the haor area is highly subjected to anthropogenic disturbances. To conserve the aquatic environment of the Baro haor regular monitoring and management should be taken to maintain the water quality.
- Afrin, R., Mia, M.Y., Ahsan, M.A., Akbor, M.A. and Akter, S. 2015. Status of water pollution in respect of physicochemical parameters and anions in the Turag River of Bangladesh. Bangladesh Journal of Environmental Science, 28: 113-118.
- Ahatun, S., Islam, M.S., Kabir, M.H., Rehnuma, M. and Hoq, M.E. 2020. Water quality and fish diversity in Korotoa River of Bogura, Bangladesh. Bangladesh Journal of Fisheries, 32(1): 61-72.
- Ahsan, M.A., Siddique, M.A.B., Munni, M.A., Akbor, M.A., Akter, S. and Mia, M.Y. 2018. Analysis of physicochemical parameters, anions and major heavy metals of the Dhaleshwari River water, Tangail, Bangladesh. American Journal of Environmental Protection, 7(2): 29-39.
- Akter, S., Saha, S.K., Kabir, M.H., Mamun, S.A. and Islam, M.S. (2017). Fluctuations in water quality at Hakaluki Haor of Bangladesh. Bangladesh Journal of Environmental Science, 32: 35-40.
- Alam, A.M.S., Islam, M.A., Rahman, M.A., Ahmed, A., Islam, S., Sultana, K.S. and Siddique, M.N. 2004. Transport of toxic metal through the major river system of Bangladesh. Journal of Chemical Society in Pakistan, 26(3): 328-332.
- Bakali, B., Mia, M.Y. and Zakir, H.M. 2014. Water quality evaluation of Tongi area in Bangladesh: an impact of industrialization. Journal of Chemical, Biological and Physical Sciences, 4(2): 1735-1752.
- Banglapedia. 2014. Kishoreganj district: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh, Asiatic Society of Bangladesh. Accessed on: http://en.banglapedia.org/index.php?title=Kishoreganj_District.
- Barmon, P.C., Islam, M.S. and Kabir, M.H. 2018. Physicochemical parameters and heavy metal concentration in water at the Mokesh beel of Bangladesh. Journal of Environmental Science and Natural Resources, 11(1-2): 1-8.
- Chakraborty, T. R. 2005. Management of haors, baors, and beels in Bangladesh. Lessons for lake basin management, pp. 1-15.
- Chhatwal, G.R. 1998. Encyclopedia of environmental biology.2nd Edition. Anmol publication Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, India, pp. 287-301.
- Chowdhury, M.A.I., Alam, R., Nasrin, S., Afroze, S. and Hossain, A. 2010. Water quality of Chatlar beel in Hakaluki Haor and its low cost treatment for drinking purpose. Bangladesh Environment, 10: 651-664.
- Davis, J.C. 1986. Statistical and Data Analysis in Geology, Wiley, New York, 2nd edition, pp. 646.
- DoE (Department of Environment). 2016. River water quality report 2015, Environmental Quality Standard, Natural Resource Management Section, Department of Environment, Ministry of Environment and Forests, Government of the People's Republic of Bangladesh, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 64 pp.
- Dugan, P.J., Baran, E., Tharme, R., Prein, M., Ahmed, R., Amerasinghe, P., Bueno, P., Brown, C., Dey, M., Jayasinghe, G., Niasse, M., Nieland, A., Smakhtin, V., Tinh, N., Viswanathan, K. and Welcomme, R. 2002. The contribution of aquatic ecosystems and fisheries to food security and livelihoods: a research agenda. Challenge programme on water and food. Background paper no.3, 28 pp.
- EU (European Union). 1989. European Communities Regulations: Quality of surface water intended for the abstraction of drinking water, 294 pp.
- Huq, S.M.I. and Alam, M.D. 2005. A handbook of analyses of soil, plant and water. BACER-DU. University of Dhaka. Bangladesh, pp. 246-250.
- Islam, M.S., Islam, M.A., Islam, M.J., Kabir, M.H. and Meghla, N.T. 2015. Status of water quality in the Tista River at Kaunia point and its impact on aquatic environment. Journal of Environmental Science and Natural Resources, 8(1): 29-33.
- Islam, M.S., Jahan, J., Mou, M.A., Kabir, M.H. and Uddin, M.J. 2017. Investigation of water quality and fish status of Karimganj Haor area in Kishoreganj. Journal of Environmental Science and Natural Resources, 10(2): 19-27.
- Islam, M.S., Suravi and Meghla, N.T. 2010. Investigation on water quality in the Ashulia beel, Dhaka. Bangladesh Journal of Fisheries Research, 14(1-2): 55-64.
- Islam, M.S., Tusher, T.R., Mustafa, M. and Mahmud, S. 2012. Effects of solid waste and industrial effluents on water quality of Turag River at Konabari industrial area, Gazipur, Bangladesh. J. Environ. Sci. Nat. Res., 5(2): 213-218.
- IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature). 2004. Introduction to community based haor and floodplain resource management. IUCN Country Office Bangladesh, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature). 2005. Approaches to sustainable wetland resource management. IUCN Country Office Bangladesh, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 10: 88.
- Khan, M.A.I., Hossain, A.M.M., Huda, M.E., Islam, M.S. and Elahi, S.F. 2007. Physicochemical and biological aspects of monsoon waters of Ashulia for economic and aesthetic applications: preliminary studies. Bangladesh Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research, 42(4): 377-396.
- Mahfuza, S.S., Kulsum, U., Shakila, A. and Islam, M.S. 2012. Toxic metal contamination on the river near industrial area of Dhaka. Universal Journal of Environmental Research and Technology, 2(2): 56-64.
- Mamun, S.A., Roy, S., Rahaman, M.S., Jahan and Islam, M.S. 2013. Status of fisheries resources and water quality of Tanguar Haor. Journal of Environmental Science and Natural Resources, 6(1): 103-106.
- Meghla, N.T., Islam, M.S., Ali, M.A. and Nargis, S. 2013. Assessment of physicochemical properties of water from the Turag River in Dhaka City, Bangladesh. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences, 2(5): 110-122.
- Mokaddes, M.A., Nahar, B.S. and Baten, M.A. 2013. Status of heavy metal contaminations of river water of Dhaka metropolitan city. Journal of Environmental Science and Natural Resources, 5(2): 349-353.
- Quraishi, S.B., Choudhury, T.R., Khan, S.R. and Mottaleb, M.A. 2010. Season and year wise distribution of some trace metals and anions in Gulshan Lake, Bangladesh. Maejo International Journal of Science and Technology, 4(2): 337-346.
- Rahman, A. K., Islam, M.L.M., Hossain, M.Z. and Ahsan, M.A. 2012. Study of the seasonal variations in Turag River water quality parameters. African Journal of Pure and Applied Chemistry, 6(10): 144-148.
- Suravi, Islam, M.S., Ali, M.A., Meghla, N.T. and Sultana, N. 2013. Seasonal variations of water quality parameters from the Pungli River in Tangail region. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Science, 2(5): 155-167.
- Tewari, G and Bisht, A. 2016. Aquatic biodiversity: threats and conservation. Universal Journal of Environmental Research and Technology, 2(2): 56-64.
- Uddin, M.J., Mohiuddin, A.S.M., Hossain, S.T. and Hakim, A. 2013. Eco-environmental changes of wetland resources of Hakaluki haor in Bangladesh using GIS technology. Journal of Biodiversity and Endangered Species, 1(1):103-107.
Copyright (c) 2020 Array
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Download data is not yet available.