Correlation Between Emotional Intelligence and Problem Solving Skill of Health Students of Faculty of Medicine Universitas Hasanuddin
AbstractBackground: High demands in all conditions require proffesional health workers. In dealing with patients, health workers need high emotional intelligence and problem solving skills that are qualified to deal with various problems. Objective: To analyze correlation between emotional intelligence with problem solving skill of health student of Faculty of Medicine Universitas Hasanuddin. Method: This quantitative research was conducted in August-September 2017, using observational study design with cross sectional analytic approach. Population in this research is health students Faculty of Medicine Universitas Hasanuddin who forced in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 (N=1995). Sampling technique using cluster random sampling (n=333). The data were analyzed with Spearman’s Rho test. Results: More than half of respondents had a low emotional intelligence (58.3%) and medium level of problem solving skill (51,4%). Correlation coefficient both of them is weak (r=0,222; p value = 0.000 <0,05). Conclusion: There is a weak correlation between emotional intelligence with problem solving skill of health student of Faculty of Medicine Hasanuddin University. The higher the emotional intelligence of the student, the higher the level of problem solving skill.
Agustian, A. G. (2005). Rahasia sukses membangun kecerdasan emosional dan spiritual. Jakarta: Arga Tilanta.
Beauvais, A. M., Brady, N., O'Shea, E. R., & Griffin, M. T. (2011). Emotional intelligence and nursing performance among nursing students. Nurse Education Today, 396–401.
Chun, K. H., & Park, E. (2016). Diversity of emotional intelligence among nursing and medical students. Osong Public Health Res Perspect , 261-265.
Freshwater, D., & Stickley, T. (2009). The heart of the art : emotional intelligence in nursing education. San Fransisco: Jossey-bass.
Goleman, D. (2015). Emotional Intelligence. Jakarta: PT Gramedia Pustaka Utama.
Lindebaum, D. (2013). Does emotional intelligence moderate the relationship between mental health and job performance? An exploratory study. European Management Journa , 1-6.
Marks, A., Horrocks, K., & Schutte, N. (2016). Emotional intelligence mediates the relationship between insecure attachment and subjective health outcomes. Personality and Individual Differences , 188–192.
Mayer, J., Salovey, P., Caruso, D., & Sitarenios, G. (2006). Emotional intelligence as a standard intelligence. Washington DC: Delmar Publishers.
Othman, C. N., Yusof, M. S., Md Din, A., & Zakaria, L. A. (2016). emotional intelligence and personality traits in relation to psychological health among pharmacy students in malaysia. Social and Behavioral Sciences , 253 – 262.
Palanci, M., & Okutan, M. (2013). Explanation of school administrators’ problem solving skills with their personality traits, emotional intelligence and emphatic tendency. Procedia Social and Behavioral Sciences 9 , 1993–1997.
Shahba, S., & Allahvirdiyani, K. (2013). Comparative study of problem-solving and emotional intelligence on decreasing of third grade girl students' aggression of the rajaee guidance school of tehran. Social and Behavioral Sciences , 778 – 780.
Smith, K. B., Profetto-McGrath, J., & Cummings, G. G. (2011). Emotional intelligence and nursing: An integrative literature review. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 1624–1636.
Sommaruga, M., Casu, G., Giaquinto, F., & Gremigni, P. (2016). Self-perceived provision of patient centered care by healthcare. Patient Education and Counseling , 1-6.
How to Cite
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Ismayani Safitri, Hapsah Hapsah, Akbar Harisa, Nurses Attitude Toward Patients as A Translating of Nursing Code of Ethics in Universitas Hasanuddin Hospital , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 4 No. 2 Februari 2020
- Hasnah Hasnah, Hapsah Hapsah, Silvia Malasari, Ariyanti Saleh, Akbar Harisa, Nurses’ Experience of Dealing With Patients’ Aggressive Behaviour in Psychiatric Emergency Ward of Hospital in South Sulawesi , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 3 No. 1 Agustus 2018
- Muhnia Muhnia, Wa Ode Nur Isnah, Hapsah Hapsah, Relationship Between Emotional Intelligence With Stress Level of First Year Student in Nursing Program Study Medical Faculty Hasanuddin University , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 2 No. 2 Februari 2018
- Hasnah Hasnah, Ambo Sau, Determining Effects of Leg Exercises to Increase Blood Circulation in The Feet of Diabetes Mellitus Patients , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 1 No. 2 Februari 2017
- Rezki Yusfa Seftiani, Nurhaya Nurdin, Akbar Harisa, Hapsah Hapsah, Nuurhidayat Jafar, Social Interaction of Students Based on Smartphone Addiction Level in Public High School 21 of Makassar , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 2 No. 2 Februari 2018
- Desy Ana Hendra, Hapsah Hapsah, Silvia Malasari, Yuliana Syam, Andriani Andriani, Emotional Question of Students in Undergraduate Course of School of Nursing Hasanuddin University , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 2 No. 1 Agustus 2017
- Musyafirah Mutia, Andriani Andriani, Hapsah Hapsah, Related Factors of Social Personal Task Achievement of Preschool Children , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 1 No. 1 Agustus 2016
- Hapsah Hapsah, A. Nuranna. AS, Rasmawati Rasmawati, Wahyuni Wahyuni, The Psychosocial Impact on Nurses in The First Three Months of Covid-19 Outbreak , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 6 No. 2 Februari 2022
- Hapsah Hapsah, Wa Ode Nur Isnah Sabriyati, Andi Tenri Rustam, Anugrahwati Datu Mikan, Nurlaila Fitriani, Ariyanti Saleh, Hamisah Hamisah, Overview of Religious Activities of Students in Makassar in the Third Year of Covid-19 , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Vol. 7 No. 2 (2023): Volume 7 No. 2 Februari 2023