Nurses Attitude Toward Patients as A Translating of Nursing Code of Ethics in Universitas Hasanuddin Hospital
Keywords:Nurses Attitude, Nursing Code of Ethics
AbstractIntroduction: The nursing code ethics is a guideline and framework of nurses during delivering nursing care services include making clinical decisions. The Indonesian Nursing Code of Ethics contains 5 principles of nurse's responsibilities such as responsibility to clients’ care. The aim of this study to describe the attitude of nurses towards clients at Hasanuddin University Hospital Makassar as a part of nursing code of ethic translation. Method: This research applied a quantitative study with descriptive survey. There are 95 nurses recruited as respondents through purposive sampling methods. Results: There are 80% of respondents have excellent rate while rest of nurses who have good rate in attitude towards the clients in order to translate the nursing code ethics into clinical practice. Conclusion: The majority of nurses already implemented the nursing code ethics, particularly Indonesian version, into clinical practice. However, examining the whole principles of the ethic codes is still needed in order to improve nursing care quality in hospital setting.
Akyüz, E., Bulut, H., & Karadağ, M. (2019). Surgical nurses’ knowledge and practices about informed consent. Nursing Ethics, 26(7–8), 2172–2184. https://doi.org/10.1177/0969733018810767
Bagheri, H., Yaghmaei, F., Ashktorab, T., & Zayeri, F. (2012). Patient dignity and its related factors in heart failure patients. Nursing Ethics, 19(3), 316–327. https://doi.org/10.1177/0969733011425970
Bijani, M., Ghodsbin, F., Fard, S. J., Shirazi, F., Sharif, F., & Tehranineshat, B. (2017). An evaluation of adherence to ethical codes among nurses and nursing students. Journal of Medical Ethics and History of Medicine, 10(6), 4–11. Retrieved from https:// www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/ pmc/ articles/ PMC5746660/
Bonsall, L. (2015). Informed Consent: An Ethical Way of Nursing. Retrieved December 10, 2019, from Lippincott Nursing Center website: https://www.nursingcenter.com/ncblog/may-2015-(1)/informed-consent-an-ethical-way-of-nursing
Calong, K. A. C., & Soriano,G.P. (2018). Caring Behavior and Patient Satisfaction: Merging for Satisfaction. International Journal of Caring Sciences,11(2),697–703.Retrieved from http:// www. internationaljournalofcaringsciences.org/docs/9_1soriano_original_10_2.pdf
Demirsoy, N., & Kirimlioglu, N. (2016). Protection of privacy and confidentiality as a patient right: physicians’ and nurses’ viewpoints. Biomedical Research, 27(4). Retrieved from https://www.alliedacademies.org/articles/protection-of-privacy-and-confidentiality-as-a-patient-right-physicians-and-nurses-viewpoints.html
Folami, F. (2019). Assessment of Patient Satisfaction with Nursing Care in Selected Wards of the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (Luth). Biomedical Journal of Scientific & Technical Research, 17(1), 12489–12497. https://doi.org/10.26717/bjstr.2019.17.002941
Haavisto, M., & Jarva, S. (2018). Developing Trust in a Nurse-Patient Relationship A Literature Review Social Services and Health Care Degree Programme in Nursing 0 Description Developing trust in a nurse-patient relationship A Literature Review Degree Programme in Nursing (JAMK University). Retrieved from https:// www.theseus.fi/ bitstream/handle/10024/146659/Developing Trust in a Nurse-Patient Relationship - Haavisto and Jarva - May 2018.pdf? sequence= 1&isAllowed=y
Hartigan, L., Cussen, L., Meaney, S., & O’Donoghue, K. (2018). Patients’ perception of privacy and confidentiality in the emergency department of a busy obstetric unit. BMC Health Services Research, 18(1), 1–6. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-018-3782-6
Ilham, A. (2014, November 7). Lalai, Perawat RS Bunda Makassar Jadi Tersangka. Sindonews.Com. Retrieved from https://daerah.sindonews.com/read/921203/25/lalai-perawat-rs-bunda-makassar-jadi-tersangka-1415349706
Karaca, A., & Durna, Z. (2019). Patient satisfaction with the quality of nursing care. Nursing Open, 6(2), 535–545. https://doi.org/10.1002/nop2.237
Kusumaningrum, U., & Windyastuti, E. (2014). Hubungan Peran Advokasi Perawat Dengan Pemenuhan Kebutuhan Rasa Aman Pada Keluarga Dan Pasien Yang Dilakukan Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Di Ruang ICU Rumah Sakit dr. Soediran Mangun Sumarso
Wonogiri (Vol. 38). STIKes Kusuma Husada Surakarta.
LeBlanc, R., Burke, M. E., & Henneman, E. A. (2016). The Professional Introduction. The American Journal of Nursing, 116(11), 13. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.naj.0000505568.88504.0b
Livne, Y., Peterfreund, I., & Sheps, J. (2017). Barriers to patient education and their relationship to nurses’ perceptions of patient education climate. Clinical Nursing Studies, 5(4), 65. https://doi.org/10.5430/cns.v5n4p65
Mohajjel-Aghdam, A., Hassankhani, H., Zamanzadeh, V., Khameneh, S., & Moghaddam, S. (2013). Knowledge and Performance about Nursing Ethic Codes from Nurses’ and Patients’ Perspective in Tabriz Teaching Hospitals, Iran. Journal of Caring Sciences, 2(3), 219–21927. https://doi.org/10.5681/jcs.2013.027
Momennasab, M., Koshkaki, A. R., Torabizadeh, C., & Tabei, S. Z. (2015). Nurses’ adherence to ethical codes: The viewpoints of patients, nurses, and managers. Nursing Ethics, 23(7), 794–803. https://doi.org/10.1177/ 0969733015583927
Papastavrou, E., Efstathiou, G., & Andreou, C. (2016). Nursing students’ perceptions of patient dignity. Nursing Ethics, 23(1), 92–103. https://doi.org/10.1177/0969733014557136
PPNI. (2017). Pedoman Perilaku Perawat Sebagai Penjabaran Kode Etik Keperawatan. Jakarta: Dewan Pengurus Pusat Persatuan Perawat Nasional Indonesia.
Satiti, Y. R., Dewanto, A., & Susilo, H. (2015). Penyampaian Informasi oleh Perawat dalam Persetujuan Tindakan Medis di Rumah Sakit : Permasalahan dan Solusi Information Delivery by Nurses on Medical Action Consent at Hospital : Problems and Solutions. Jurnal Kedokteran Brawijaya, 28(2), 169–173. Retrieved from https://jkb.ub.ac.id/ index.php/jkb/article/viewFile/1078/464
Suardi. (2016). Pelaksanaan Pelayanan Kesehatan Di Puskesmas. E-Journal Ilmu Administrasi Negara, 4(1), 2465–2478. Retrieved from http://ejournal.an.fisip-unmul.ac.id/site/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Isi Jurnal (02-22-16-06-07-45).pdf
The Joint Commission. (2017). National patient safety goals.
Vahdat, S., Hamzehgardeshi, L., Hessam, S., & Hamzehgardeshi, Z. (2014). Patient involvement in health care decision making: A review. Iranian Red Crescent Medical Journal, 16(1), 1–7. https://doi.org/10.5812/ircmj.12454
You, L. ming, Aiken, L. H., Sloane, D. M., Liu, K., He, G. ping, Hu, Y.,…Sermeus, W. (2013). Hospital nursing, care quality, and patient satisfaction: Cross-sectional surveys of nurses and patients in hospitals in China and Europe. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 50(2), 154–161. https:// doi.org/ 10.1016/ j.ijnurstu.2012.05.003
How to Cite
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Hasnah Hasnah, Hapsah Hapsah, Silvia Malasari, Ariyanti Saleh, Akbar Harisa, Nurses’ Experience of Dealing With Patients’ Aggressive Behaviour in Psychiatric Emergency Ward of Hospital in South Sulawesi , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 3 No. 1 Agustus 2018
- Hasnah Hasnah, Desy Ana Hendra, Hapsah Hapsah, Correlation Between Emotional Intelligence and Problem Solving Skill of Health Students of Faculty of Medicine Universitas Hasanuddin , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 3 No. 1 Agustus 2018
- Muhnia Muhnia, Wa Ode Nur Isnah, Hapsah Hapsah, Relationship Between Emotional Intelligence With Stress Level of First Year Student in Nursing Program Study Medical Faculty Hasanuddin University , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 2 No. 2 Februari 2018
- Rezki Yusfa Seftiani, Nurhaya Nurdin, Akbar Harisa, Hapsah Hapsah, Nuurhidayat Jafar, Social Interaction of Students Based on Smartphone Addiction Level in Public High School 21 of Makassar , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 2 No. 2 Februari 2018
- Faradiba Faradiba, Ariyanti Saleh, Akbar Harisa, Emotional Maturity of Teenagers Who Have Mothers as Single Parents in SMA Negeri 1 Maiwa Enrekang , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 1 No. 1 Agustus 2016
- Desy Ana Hendra, Hapsah Hapsah, Silvia Malasari, Yuliana Syam, Andriani Andriani, Emotional Question of Students in Undergraduate Course of School of Nursing Hasanuddin University , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 2 No. 1 Agustus 2017
- Musyafirah Mutia, Andriani Andriani, Hapsah Hapsah, Related Factors of Social Personal Task Achievement of Preschool Children , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 1 No. 1 Agustus 2016
- Hapsah Hapsah, A. Nuranna. AS, Rasmawati Rasmawati, Wahyuni Wahyuni, The Psychosocial Impact on Nurses in The First Three Months of Covid-19 Outbreak , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 6 No. 2 Februari 2022
- Debi Sambak, Tuti Seniwati, Akbar Harisa, The Storytelling and Improvement of Language and Social Skills in Autism Children , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 6 No. 1 Agustus 2021
- Salsa Bella Fitri Pagesa, Akbar Harisa, Nurhaya Nurdin, Moh. Syafar Sangkala, Silvia Malasari, Health Literacy Level of Nursing Students in The Islamic Colleges of Makassar City , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 6 No. 2 Februari 2022