Mosquito Nests Eradication through Monitoring the Mosquito Larva (Jumantik) by School Children in Preventing the Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever
AbstractBackground: Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever (DHF) is still a major health problem in Indonesia. Community participation is a key component of DHF control. The group of schoolchildren is part of a group of people who can play a strategic role, considering the number is very much around 20% of the population. Through this Jumantik, the elementary school children are trained as a mosquito larva (jumantik) in their school. Objective: Establishment of larva monitoring group (Jumantik) and implementation of mosquito nest eradication activity at home and at school Method: A community service activity is conducted by recruiting and providing the training for Jumantik School Children and the teachers. Before the training, the students were given with the pre-test. After the training, the students followed the post-test and were given the mosquito eradication kit to undertake the mosquito larva monitoring at school and home. Result: As much as nine elementary students and three teachers were formed as jumantik volunteers from three different elementary schools namely Malewang, Palleko and Pangembang . The result of pre-test of 9 students, the average score of 8.67 (maximum points 15) with the highest score 11 and the lowest score 6. While the post test results obtained an average value of 11, 89 with the highest value 14 and the lowest value 10. The forms of activity for this program were: establishment of Jumatik school children, distribution of mosquito eradication kit, distribution of leaflet and stickers as the media of health promotion, provision of certificate of training of Jumantic school children and the teachers, the establishment of Plan of Action (POA) of the program and the production of second-hand good products. Conclusion and Suggestion: There are six activities that was implemented in this community service activity. It is suggested that the school to carry out routine activities according to the POA that has been agreed and the community health center can supervise the activity undertaken by the Jumantik school children. Keywords: Jumantik, Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever, school children, mosquito eradication
Anderson, E.T. & McFarlane, J. (2006). Buku Ajar Keperawatan Komunitas : Teori dan Praktek, Edisi 3. Jakarta : EGC
Conyer, R..T., Galvan, J.M., Zuniga, P.B. (2012). Community participation in the prevention and control of dengue: the patio limpio strategy in Mexico, Pediatrics and International Child Health, Vol. 32, p. 10-13
Departemen Kesehatan RI (2006). “Petunjuk pelaksanaan monitoring evaluasi dan pelaporan UKS”. Retrieved September 19, 2015, from www.depkes.go.id
Ginanjar, G. (2009). Demam berdarah. Jakarta: PT. Mizan Publika
Kemenkes RI (2011). Modul Pengendalian Demam Berdarah Dengue. Direktorat Jenderal Pengendalian Penyakit dan Penyehatan Lingkungan.
Kemenkes RI. (2013). Pengendalian Demam Berdarah Dengue untuk Pengelola Program DBD di Puskesmas. Direktorat Jenderal Pengendalian Penyakit dan Penyehatan Lingkungan.
Kemenkes. (2014). Petunjuk Teknis Jumantik - PSN Anak Sekolah. 1-37.
Mon (2016). Wilayah KLB DBD Ada di 11 Provinsi. Retrieved from: http://www.depkes.go.id/development/site/dinas-kesehatan/index.php?view=print&cid=1-16031100028&id=wilayah-klb-dbd-ada-di-11-provinsi
Sari, H (2016). Gambaran Indikator Program Usaha Kesehatan Sekolah: Pembinaan Lingkungan Sekolah Sehat Di Sekolah Dasar Negeri Kecamatan Bontobahari Kabupaten Bulukumba. Skripsi tidak diterbitkan
Wati, N. K., Astuti, S., & Sari, L. K. (2016). Hubungan Pengetahuan dan Sikap Orang Tua tentang Upaya Pencegahan dengan Kejadian DBD pada Anak di RSUD Banjarbaru Tahun 2015. Jurkessia, 24-25.
World Health Organization. (2002). Pencegahan dan pengendalian dengue dan demam berdarah: panduan lengkap. Jakarta: EGC
How to Cite
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Sumitarianti Bahris, Moh Syafar Sangkala, Tuti Seniwati, Overview of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Symptoms of Post-Road Traffic Accident Patients , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 5 No. 1 Agustus 2020
- Darmiaty Darmiaty, Nuurhidayat Jafar, Silvia Malasari, Screening and Assessment of Nutritional Status on Elderly in Pampang, Makassar , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 1 No. 2 Februari 2017
- Satrial Mudatsir, Moh. Syafar Sangkala, Andina Setyawati, Related Factors of Response Time in Handling Head Injury in Emergency Unit of Prof.Dr.H.M.Anwar Makkatutu Bantaeng General Hospital , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 2 No. 1 Agustus 2017
- Mona Meylinda Sari, Syahrul Syahrul, Silvia Malasari, Training of Caregiver Towards Family Independence Level in Caring for Elderly With Hypertension , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 1 No. 1 Agustus 2016
- Hasnah Hasnah, Hapsah Hapsah, Silvia Malasari, Ariyanti Saleh, Akbar Harisa, Nurses’ Experience of Dealing With Patients’ Aggressive Behaviour in Psychiatric Emergency Ward of Hospital in South Sulawesi , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 3 No. 1 Agustus 2018
- Hasriana Sari, Nuurhidayat Jafar, Silvia Malasari, Healthy Environment Development in School Health Units of Public Primary Schools in Bontobahari Bulukumba , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 1 No. 2 Februari 2017
- Rezki Yusfa Seftiani, Nurhaya Nurdin, Akbar Harisa, Hapsah Hapsah, Nuurhidayat Jafar, Social Interaction of Students Based on Smartphone Addiction Level in Public High School 21 of Makassar , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 2 No. 2 Februari 2018
- Nurul Hidayah, Saldy Yusuf, Moh Syafar Sangkala, Sarina Musdiaman, Description of Spiritual Coping in Patients with Diabetic Foot Ulcer at the Wound Care Clinic In Makassar City , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 5 No. 1 Agustus 2020
- Desy Ana Hendra, Hapsah Hapsah, Silvia Malasari, Yuliana Syam, Andriani Andriani, Emotional Question of Students in Undergraduate Course of School of Nursing Hasanuddin University , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 2 No. 1 Agustus 2017
- Andi Saadah Andis, Tuti Seniwati, Nur Fadilah, An Overview of Management Newborn Based on Apgar Score in Makassar City Hospital , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 6 No. 2 Februari 2022