Health Literacy Level of Nursing Students in The Islamic Colleges of Makassar City
Keywords:Keywords: Health Literacy , Nursing Students, Islamic college
AbstractIntroduction. Health literacy is the level of an individual's ability to obtain, process, and understand basic health information and services needed to make appropriate health-related decisions. Nursing students need to understand health literacy in order to prepare themselves to become educative health professionals. Therefore, the researcher intends to conduct research on the level of health literacy of nursing students at the Islamic College of Makassar City. Method. This study uses a quantitative research design with descriptive research methods. The number of samples is 235 people. Result. Analysis of the data found that there was a difference between the level of health literacy between age (p=0.851), gender (p=0.965), semester level (p=0.316), nursing students at Makassar City Colleges. However, there is no significant difference. Conclusion. The need for a compulsory learning program or some kind of special curriculum that discusses health literacy at the academic stage. It is hoped that this related research can to be dug again in depth like finding out what factors which is the cause of universities being found have low health literacy in this study or developed by increasing the number of respondents
Ali, F., Sami, F., Rehman, H., Siddique, I., & Haider, K. (2007). Relation of gender education and health seeking behaviour of the general population regarding psychiatric illness. J Pak Med Assoc, (56 (9)), 421–422.
Ayaz-Alkaya, S., & Terzi, H. (2019). Investigation of health literacy and affecting factors of nursing students. Nurse Education in Practice, 34, 31–35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2018.10.009
Elsborg, L., Krossdal, F. ie, & Kayser, L. (2017). Health literacy among Danish university students enrolled in health-related study programmes. Scandinavian Journal of Public Health, 45(8), 1–8. https://doi.org/10.1177/1403494817733356
Hidayat, A.A. (2017). Metodology Penelitian Keperawatan dan Tkesehatan (A. Suslia & T.Utami,eds.). Penerbit Selemba Medika.
Ilgas, A., & Gozum, S. (2016). Importance of health literacy for reliable use of complementary health approaches. Dokuz Eylül University Faculty of Nursing Electronic Journal, 9(2), 67–77.
Irma, & Desylia, M. (2016). Hubunan karakteristik dengan health literacy mahasiswa Universitas Dian Nuswantoro Semarang tahun 2016. http://epr.
Jessup, R. L., Osborne, R. H., Beauchamp, A., Bourne, A., & Buchbinder, R. (2017). Health literacy of recently hospitalised patients: a cross-sectional survey using the Health Literacy Questionnaire (HLQ). BMC Health Services Research, 17(1), 1–12. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-016-1973-6
Lawson, D., & Lawson, D. (2004). Development Economics and Public Policy WORKING PAPER SERIES Is it Just Income and User Fees That Determinants of Health Seeking Behaviour in Uganda – Is it Just Income and User Fees That Are Important ? (6), 1–31.
Lestari, P., & Handiyani, H. (2017). The Higher Level of Health Literacy Among Health Students Compared with Non-Health Students. UI Proc. HealthMed, 1, 1–5.
Mnatzaganian, C., Fricovsky, E., Best, B. M., & Singh, R. F. (2017). An interactive, multifaceted approach to enhancing pharmacy students’ health literacy knowledge and confidence. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education, 81(2). https://doi.org/10.5688/ajpe81232
Nazmi Nazmi, Rudolfo Galio, Restila Ridha, Emytri. (2015. faktor-Faktor Yang Mempengaruhi Literasi Kesehatan di Fasilitas Pelayanan Kesehatan: Systematic Review 2015. 1 (1)
Park, H., & Lee, E. (2015). Self-reported eHealth literacy among undergraduate nursing students in South Korea: A pilot study. Nurse Education Today, 35(2), 408–413. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2014.10.022
Purnamasari, J., Wowor, P. M., & Tambunan, E. (2015). Tingkat pengetahuan mahasiswa profesi program studi pendidikan dokter gigi terhadap penggunaan antibiotik di RSGMP Unsrat Manado. Jurnal E-GiGi (EG), 3(2), 1–5.
Santosa, K. S., Ilmu, F., Masyarakat, K., Pascasarjana, P., & Kesehatan, I. (2012). Faktor-Faktor Yang Berhubungan Dengan Tingkat Kemelekan Kesehatan. Pasien Di Klinik Dokter Keluarga Fakultas Kedokteran Universitas Indonesia Kiara, Dki Jakarta Tahun 2012
Shah, L. C., West, P., Bremmeyr, K., & Savoy-Moore, R. T. (2010). Health literacy instrument in family medicine: The “newest vital sign” ease of use and correlates. Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine, 23(2), 195–203. https://doi.org/10.3122/jabfm.2010.02.070278
Sriyanah, N., Kadar, K., & Erika, K. A. (2019). Gambaran pengetahuan, sikap, dan hambatan perawat mengenai health literacy di RS TK II Pelamonia Makassar. NURSCOPE: Jurnal Penelitian Dan Pemikiran Ilmiah Keperawatan, 5(1), 16. https://doi.org/10.30659/nurscope.5.1.16-22
Štefková, G., Čepová, E., Kolarčik, P., & Gecková, A. M. (2018). the level of health literacy of students at medical faculties. Kontakt, 20(4), 363–369. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.kontakt.2018.10.011
Vamos, S., Yeung, P., Bruckermann, T., Moselen, E. F., Dixon, R., Osborne, R. H., … Stringer, D. (2016). Exploring Health Literacy Profiles of Texas University Students. Health Behavior and Policy Review, 3(3), 209–225. https://doi.org/10.14485/hbpr.3.3.3
Westra, B. L. (2014). Integrative nursing and health literacy. New York: Oxford university press.
Yadav, A., Rai, B., Jirel, S., Gupta, P., Budhathoki, S., & Malla, G. (2019). Mortality at Emergency Department of BP Koirala Institute of Health Sciences: A Retrospective Review. Journal of BP Koirala Institute of Health Sciences, 2(2), 66–71. https://doi.org/10.3126/jbpkihs.v2i2.27869
How to Cite
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Darmiaty Darmiaty, Nuurhidayat Jafar, Silvia Malasari, Screening and Assessment of Nutritional Status on Elderly in Pampang, Makassar , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 1 No. 2 Februari 2017
- Satrial Mudatsir, Moh. Syafar Sangkala, Andina Setyawati, Related Factors of Response Time in Handling Head Injury in Emergency Unit of Prof.Dr.H.M.Anwar Makkatutu Bantaeng General Hospital , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 2 No. 1 Agustus 2017
- Ismayani Safitri, Hapsah Hapsah, Akbar Harisa, Nurses Attitude Toward Patients as A Translating of Nursing Code of Ethics in Universitas Hasanuddin Hospital , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 4 No. 2 Februari 2020
- Mona Meylinda Sari, Syahrul Syahrul, Silvia Malasari, Training of Caregiver Towards Family Independence Level in Caring for Elderly With Hypertension , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 1 No. 1 Agustus 2016
- Hasnah Hasnah, Hapsah Hapsah, Silvia Malasari, Ariyanti Saleh, Akbar Harisa, Nurses’ Experience of Dealing With Patients’ Aggressive Behaviour in Psychiatric Emergency Ward of Hospital in South Sulawesi , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 3 No. 1 Agustus 2018
- Hasriana Sari, Nuurhidayat Jafar, Silvia Malasari, Healthy Environment Development in School Health Units of Public Primary Schools in Bontobahari Bulukumba , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 1 No. 2 Februari 2017
- Nuurhidayat Jafar, Nur Fadilah, Silvia Malasari, Moh Syafar Sangkala, Andina Setyawati, Andi Wahyuni, Mosquito Nests Eradication through Monitoring the Mosquito Larva (Jumantik) by School Children in Preventing the Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 3 No. 2 Februari 2019
- Rezki Yusfa Seftiani, Nurhaya Nurdin, Akbar Harisa, Hapsah Hapsah, Nuurhidayat Jafar, Social Interaction of Students Based on Smartphone Addiction Level in Public High School 21 of Makassar , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 2 No. 2 Februari 2018
- Faradiba Faradiba, Ariyanti Saleh, Akbar Harisa, Emotional Maturity of Teenagers Who Have Mothers as Single Parents in SMA Negeri 1 Maiwa Enrekang , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 1 No. 1 Agustus 2016
- Desy Ana Hendra, Hapsah Hapsah, Silvia Malasari, Yuliana Syam, Andriani Andriani, Emotional Question of Students in Undergraduate Course of School of Nursing Hasanuddin University , Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal : Volume 2 No. 1 Agustus 2017